Sunday, July 1, 2018

Desperate Times


    It may not be necessary to write this post since I have already mentioned this topic enough for other people to crack the code and solve the obvious problem, but I did decide to go ahead and say a little more about the rent gouging problems in this country.  A lot of people want to talk about gentrification and say that the "real" real estate problem is the bad white people taking over all the neighborhoods.  But I think it would be more honest and more productive to place the blame where it really belongs, which is on the apartment and real estate people who are gouging everyone.  I think that the faster that people realize that the rent gouging doesn't really help white people either and hurts pretty much everyone in not just individual neighborhoods but the whole country, then the faster we can prevent the behaviors that are actually wrong and our whole society can recover.
    And I want to add my main idea, which some people will think is horribly ignorant communism.  But I think that really, I am right when I say we need to question our whole system of letting people in power charge everyone rent that eventually exceeds the value of the property.  I think that there is a strong case that it is exploitation by nature and should not be allowed.  I will even say the most drastic idea for a solution that I have, which is that a lot of the apartments people pay rent for might need to all of a sudden be condos with their accumulated rent totals counting as mortgage and the ownership being transferred to the tenants.  People would kill over this and they think it is the foundation of American capitalism that I am attacking, but I think they might unexpectedly be wrong about that.  I think that justice is the true foundation of a profitable economy, and the damage that greedy people have done to our country does deserve a punitive act that could include property seizure.  And who better to hand the property to than the people who actually have paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment