Sunday, December 31, 2023

Citizens Unrest

 Well hi everyone, I think I will put this on my regular blog instead of my mad blog, even though it is a policy and issue topic.  It has to do with reparitions, which is something I believe in and think that people should think more about.  

To me, the fact that at least something should be done to repay the ongoing detriment of the specific historical abuse of slavery is a no brainer and almost not up for debate.  But what is actually possible, who should make it work out, and how it should happen are things that many more creative minds should invest their time and resources in. 

 

A thoughtless reaction to mob demands will only cause further damage, and honestly I do think people can expect a war if they turn it into an excuse for a veiled armed robbery.

 

I want to compare that risk to something I saw on other racist TV, which is the Dukes of Hazzard.  They used to have this thing called “Citizen’s Arrest,” where a normal person could arrest someone as a fellow citizen and take someone to jail.  It was ridiculous and made for some entertaining TV.  I think the same level absurdity could be too appealing and excused for the reparitions process too.

 

If people get some clue from their education or social media that causes them to see not just an immediate need but the reality of a societal debt, then surely it is tempting to just find the nearest white oppressor and demand that they cough up “their share” of reparitions.  Already, I think there are media narratives that cause people to expect anyone with a paycheck to suddenly make up for four hundred years of poverty and degradation in the lives of millions.

 

And maybe it is hyper-vigilant of me to predict this at all, but I have to say ahead of time, or at the fringe of what is already underway, that I feel sorry for people who see that option as their only route to prosperity.  Truly, if you do, you are one of the reasons that it has been so complicated  already with decades of crime and welfare mixed in from co-enslavers.  And that mess will never be over as long as people keep being coached to milk their cred instead of getting a job. Those who know better and especially do better will probably see immediately that there actually many of us who see the real case and believe you should go for both the cash and credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment