Saturday, June 22, 2019

Neither Nor

In her book called Hunger, Roxanne Gay wrote about how she had to buy an extra seat on planes sometimes, but then the airline would want to let people put their stuff in her extra seat.  And she said it was like they wanted something both ways.  And I have noticed that a lot of injustice and mistreatment is exactly like that. When I was in college, my mom wanted me to get a job instead of doing volunteer and camp experiences, but then wanted to make me report my spending to her.  But I had my own money because I had had to work instead of doing the things I wanted to do. She could not have it both ways. But people do find a way to demand opposite things from people, and I think it is happening with a lot of our country’s problems.  A lot of people want to ignore things like immigrant needs and poverty and say that is the government’s job, but they also want to say that the government should be limited and not interfere and have any resources or power. The goal is to starve people out of the systems of food and health.  The insurance companies do it too, by wanting to collect premiums from everyone and cover health care for no one.  I mean why don’t they just come to our house with a gun and take our cash. When they do, I will do what I learned from the show called Electric Company when I was a kid.  There was a hold up and a muppet said to someone, “Your money or your life?” And the person said “I’ll take ‘your money’.”  And the bad muppet handed over the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment