Saturday, December 30, 2017

Retail store emails that refer to me as part of their "family"

For a lot of people during the holidays, entire turkey and ham dinners are really just side items to be served with the main course of family problems that never seem to end. People have also used the word "family " and "family friendly" to exclude people with gender problems or single people. The word "family" is a loaded word for a lot of people, with a lot of implications, which makes it even more embarrassing for there to be a new trend of organizations unrightfully referring to members or customers as "family."  Obama did it several times with America, referring to our country as one big family, and I have recently gotten multiple emails from random retail stores referring to their customers as family members.  The college I went to a long time ago in South Carolina also tried to call all the alumni family in a survey, and I have to say that even though I feel a lot of love for a lot of strangers and hope that everyone can be adopted as God's children, I find it insultingly presumptuous and inexcusable when anyone, but especially someone just trying to get my money, assumes that kind of role with me.  I actually find it abusive in more than just a philosophical way, and I know that many people have deep and very mainstream religious beliefs that require them not to ever refer to people that way so flippantly.  And this might sound stupid, but what about divorced people who shop at the same store.  Who does some jerk marketer think they are to remarry those people.  People think I am being a persnickety grammar snob or just a snob, but there are some really bad people doing really bad things in almost every part of society and this world, and they are not my family. Standing in the same line with someone at the grocery store does not mean I am so much as their second cousin fifty thousand times removed, and for both the commies and the capitalists to try to foist that on me for no other reason but to take everyone's inheritance, including the safety and security of the country, is reason for me to disown everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment