Sunday, December 24, 2017

Monopoly

No need to make too big a deal of it, but this week, the cable company charged me five dollars just to let me pay my own bill for internet service.  And I was also thinking about how I rent my modem from them and may be paying ten times what the modem is worth because of that, which is absurd, though if I were stronger I could have bought a different modem.  But I think that is the idea, and it is interesting to think about with apartment rent gouging, too.  If our system suddenly became a rent to own system where your past rent was credited to you as going toward the cost of a place to live, I think people would freak out and talk about communism.  And yet with the modem situation, the absurdity of people paying more than something is worth and still not owning it is easily apparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment