Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Candid Camera

At Starbucks today, I noticed that there were four or five video cameras, mostly focused on their employees, and though I don't think it is an emergency that I need to write a dystopian novel about, it does remind me of something I am worried about which has to do with video cameras.  I think that in a lot of places, people are now trying to capture things on video and just punish people later instead of being vigilant and proactive to prevent bad things from happening.  I think this could be terrible, and I can even imagine our whole society being sent to jail retroactively for all our traffic and parking sins and later on for store transaction problems where the whole loss prevention policy is based on erroneously busting people retroactively after inventory mistakes show up on computers. And thinking of situations in schools where there are cameras instead of people monitoring and then the videos can get shared later is just tragic and upsetting to me.  It is an issue that should be monitored closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment