Thursday, June 25, 2020

Monumental Landmark Decisions

I just want to say that I think whoever ends up sandblasting stone mountain will have fixed one of the most offensive monument problems, and I also want to say that I think it has worked out well to have the monuments so there is something to deface and record the right kind of rebellion. Modern art would always have been better than statues, and that is what a lot of graffiti is, anyway. I go so far as to think Mt Rushmore is also an offense, more against nature and all of humanity than just being an issue of racism.  What could people have possibly been thinking to carve statues into the best mountainsides? The arrogance of it is almost enough of an acknowledgement itself. It could be the more strong protest to leave the monuments up as the symbol of shame for people who let themselves be represented by it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment